Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The good, the bad, and...well, you know.

Ups and downs all over the place!

In extra happy news, we got our fingerprint notice the other day. We are about 2 weeks ahead of most of the people with our same filing date, which is awesome! Basically, the I800-A is approval from USCIS to bring a foreign born child into the country. Once we get matched we will have to fill out an I800 which is permission to bring a specific child in. Once we get fingerprinted it should only be another week or so until we get approval.

Here's the basic process we have left:
-Finish getting paperwork notarized
-Secretary of State has to certify the notary
- US Dept. of State Authentication has to authenticate the Secretary of State
- Chinese Embassy has to authenticate the Dept. of State
-THEN the dossier can go to our agency and be reviewed before being sent to China

It may not seem like it, but we are so close! Another month and a half, probably.

Not everything has been great, however. I'm not going to name names, but a very close family member made a "joke" on Easter that I'm still figuring out how to address. We were being asked if we had any children and I said, "Not yet." (standard response. I then don't say anything more since most of the time I don't need to and I figure it's not really their business). This family member then felt the need to chime in with:
"Oh, they're buying a baby."
me- "Ok, that is a joke that never needs to be made by you again." (It's not the first time it's happened)
f.m. - "Sorry, I mean they are purchasing a baby."

At that point I just walked away and didn't talk to them anymore. This was said to older relatives of mine who I had met maybe once before when I was 10, and in front of my cousin's girlfriend who is from China as well as the rest of my family. The person in question has said they are very supportive of our decision and is excited for us to bring our baby home. Now, I don't know what to make of their behavior.

Here's the deal. I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Jokes like this are never ever funny. They are mean spirited, hurtful, and demeaning. We are no more buying a baby than anyone who pays hospital/doctor's bills after childbirth is. Many Chinese believe that Americans are buying babies and treating them poorly and jokes like this don't exactly change the view. It's impossible to protect her against every hurtful thing that people will say, but I expect her family members to behave better than strangers. Too much to ask?

In addition to all that, you can seriously damage the chances of the family being able to adopt at all. Our homestudy says that our families are extremely supportive of our decision to adopt and will treat our daughter the same as everyone else. Now I feel like that has been made untrue. Perhaps I am overreacting, but we would have some problems if our social worker heard about this. I don't think she would cancel our paperwork at this point, but we'd probably have some serious talks about whether our family was really able to provide an emotionally safe environment for our daughter.

It's hit a point where this is no longer just a minor issue that can be brushed off. We have to have a serious discussion with this person and let them know that their behavior must be changed if they wish to be around our daughter. I don't feel comfortable letting her be around family that could say things like this. I just don't know what to say when we do talk or how to even broach the subject. Help?

8 comments:

  1. Oh don't worry - It is good that person doesn't know much I have spent on fertility because I would be in the same category. She because yes I know how it is, doesn't realize it.
    For what it's worth, you can avoid that person very easily. I on the other hand, can't.
    AND I don't plan to let that person baby sit EVER for me and I don't have a social worker checking on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Seriously? I really can't wrap my head around this at all. Gross.
    On a happy note-YAY!!!!!! I hope this next couple of months fly by so very fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so unkind!If it means anything at all, we are so excited for you and think you will be wonderful parents!!!! Our prayers will continue to be with you during this process. I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, it is not the person that Michele is referring to (though they've had there share of *facepalm* moments). This is someone who we will have no choice but to have contact with. It makes me sad, but it is what it is. I know it isn't done to be hurtful, but to try to be funny, it's just not something I can allow to happen anymore.
    We're super excited too and know that most everyone has our backs, which makes it easier! We'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In regards to having a talk with them, the sooner the better. If they've made jokes like that before, they'll make them again. You've always addressed conflict with dignity and respect ( one of the reasons you're going to be an awesome mom) but there's no need to pull punches. Tell them to shut it or ship out! Your baby comes first, and your family doesn't want to jeopardize that. I bet everyone BUT that one person is on your side...

    -jady

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you getting closer and closer! :D With your family member...the sooner you have the discussion, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am *shocked* it isn't shells said person. I still want to email you about some items regarding all that ridiculousness this weekend <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee, apparently I missed a lot this weekend! I'm sorry that some silly people say silly things.

    ReplyDelete