Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 3- Great Wall, Jade Shop, and Acrobatic Show








Today was our last full day in Beijing, and it certainly didn't disappoint. We woke up bright and early (both around 2 a.m. due to the jetlag, but after an hour of laying there in the dark, usually fall back asleep) to hop on the bus one more time. Because it is rather cold in the morning (around 33 degrees) we've been doing indoor things until the afternoon. Today was a visit to a large jade shop. We got to learn about the different kinds, see it being carved, be able to tell true jade from a couple different fakes, and then be let loose in the large jade shop to help support the economy. All the usual things that families do in China prior to meeting their children.

When we went to the silk shop, I didn't really care about fancy things, just wanted a bit of white silk for Nora's temple dress (which I could have sworn i mentioned to Kevin before, but I guess he had forgotten. he was surprisingly touched by it). One of the only things I was willing to spend some money on was some good quality jade. I don't know why, but for many years I have loved jade more than any other jemstone. Frankly, I like it better than gemstones and when Cindy (our CCAI guide) tells us that while the US is all about diamonds, China is a country that prefers jade I have to agree. When we were first waiting for Nora, Kevin bought me a jade necklace and I wore it often and thought about how we would someday go to China and meet our daughter. I made sure to wear it to important family events, almost like a placeholder. I don't know if it makes sense, but it is what it is. So you can imagine how exciting it was to see so much beautiful jade and hear how important it is to the people of China. We bought a couple things that were perhaps more than we had originally planned on spending on any souvenir, but I am trilled with. A couple things will have to be described later since they are gifts for our parents that we want to tell them about in person, but they are super cool and I will post pictures and descriptions of them after we get home. Then we managed to score a bit of a deal on two other things. The first is a solid jade bangle for me. It is a lovely piece and actually small enough for my wrist, which is hard to find in the states. The second is a jade pendant carved with a traditional tiger, the animal of Nora's birthyear. His head is looking back, which is a lucky thing and "has good meaning". We will be hanging on to this so we can give it to her when she is older. Even thinking about her getting older and being with us is totally bizarre.

After compairing with the other families what we bought, we went to the Great Wall. How can I possibly begin to describe something that my brain can't even comprehend? I had read a bunch about it before we left and knew that we should expect it to be very steep, with uneven steps, and quite difficult to climb, and yes, that was all true, but it's so much more than that. I walked on stones that have been in place longer than the US has even been in existance. I wheezed along, putting my feet on stones worn down by hundreds of years and millions of steps until they quite literally curve on the top. Some steps were only a couple inches high, others over a foot. Even gripping tightly to the railing on the side i barely made it. We climbed 1 1/2 towers and my legs were screaming by the end. I wanted to quite after that, but how many times will I be able to walk on one of the 8 wonders of the world? Instead, I climbed a bit more on the "easy" section with kevin and we very nearly got left behind by our bus. our absence was immediately noticed by those who sat by us and everything worked out fine.

Following our climb, we went out to lunch and had another big group meal. As far as the food goes, we are having mostly traditional fare, but the very light stuff that westerners tend to like. Even so, many in our group find it to be a bit too much to handle. For us, we are stil enjoying the food and certainly not sick of it. Still two more weeks, and I'm sure at some point we will break down and order some pizza or something. For now I am thoroughly enjoying my steambuns and rice.

After lunch we went to where the 2008 Olympics were held and saw the birdsnest, a series of buildings caled the dragon, and the torch that makes Salt Lake's look like a toothpick. If there is one thing the Chinese have down it's the concept of grandiose.

The last thing for the day was seeing an acrobatics show that made my mouth literally drop open several times and even a few occasions to proclaim, "What?!?" The biggest crowdpleaser was the metal globe with the motercycle driving in circles inside. After a minute or so he was joined by another bike, and another, until there were a totaly of 5 motercycles in a structure be enough for them to have about a foot and a half of space between them. kevin recorded nearly the whole thing, so we'll post it eventually, but it really was crazy. The fact that they were so lasse fair about it as to teasingly honk at each other only made it more impressive. Chinese drivers love to honk.

We came back to the hotel and Kevin went out to buy our nightly dinner of steambuns. The good news was he remembered the words for menu. The bad news was that he didn't quite learn his lesson from last time and brought back a bag with about 18 buns (a whopping $3 total). This time there was no finishing them all. Mei ban fa.

And now we find ourselves at the end of the "tourist" portion of the trip. We've been so busy that it's been easy to forget that we are not getting on a plane to come home tomorrow with memories of a great vacation, but will be getting our daughter in a little over a day. I do want to remember many things about beijing, so this post will be a bit long and rambley...well it's already been that, but it will continue.

Jen's thoughts on Beijing. I love it here. The people have been warm and friendly, quick to laugh at our jokes and easy to love. our efforts to speak the language have been met with encouragement and praise, even though we know we are not very skilled. I was grinning ear to ear when 3 seperate people told me on different occasions that I speak "like a Chinese person." The language has helped so much to not feel so worried about getting around and it's so nice to be reminded how hard it is for those people who are not native speakers just doing the best that they can. We've been joking that we know enough Mandarin to get into trouble, but not enough to get back out. It's a fairly accurate statement. I already felt a connection to China before, but now I really feel like when I get on that plane home a little piece of my heart will always be in China. Often when we travel somewhere we play the game of "could you live here?" I am shocked to say that I feel like I could live in China. Beijing is very big and overwhelming, and I am not typically a fan of such large cities, but there is such an energy here, a feeling that anything can happen. Thousand year-old structures butting up against new skyscrapers. Where else could I possibly find that? Don't worry, we have no plans to do something so drastic, but I definitely plan on coming back.

Tomorrow morning we fly to Zhengzhou (where we should be able to access Facebook and blogger) and the day after that we will be parents. Until then, I will enjoy my last few hours in Beijing. I will smile thinking about my afternoon with the rickshaw drivers, look at pictures of places that I never dreamed I would see in person, and enjoy my morning breakfast of castor cream buns and dumplings while listening to the crazy Beijing traffic. Beijing, this will not be our last adventure together, of that I am quite sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment