Saturday, February 18, 2012

Greetings from Guangzhou

The last two days have been a bit crazy to say the least. I am going to keep it short since we all need some sleep, but I will say that the 2 hour plane ride from Zhengzhou to Guangzhou was one of the worst things I have ever been a part of. Nora can throw a tantrum like it's going out of style and she chose the plane to really test her skills, legs, and lungs. I got punched, scratched, kicked, hit, and spit on all within the first hour. For those who like to smile and say welcome to parenthood, please don't. I didn't find it funny or entertaining. I felt humiliated and helpless.
I don't want to dwell on it anymore. Even writing this much has put me in a pretty bad mood.

Moving on. The last day in Zhengzhou we walked around a bit after breakfast, packed our things and got ready to leave. Someone in charge had the brilliant idea to have us take a plane that left at 6 pm, allowing the babies to freak out due to their disrupted dinner and bedtime. We arrived at the hotel at around 10, I washed off baby and myself as best I could, tried to not be too upset by the room not being anywhere close to baby safe, and Kevin ran next door to grab McDonalds. It's not that we are sick of Chinese, it's that many options aren't available to you at that time of day in a new city and with a baby who is still letting you know how much she doesn't like you.

Today we woke up tired, having only gotten a few hours of sleep, but something wonderful happened in the night. Nora allowed Kevin to comfort her and she slept with him for about an hour or so. My first lone sleep since we got her.

The main event today was a trip to Shamian island where the kids all got medical exams that were barely even a formality with their brevity. Afterwards, we walked around the island enjoying the warmer weather, clean air, and beautiful scenery. Nora refused to nap this afternoon, preferring instead to run around the playground and getting very revved up. We decided to join the group of parents who were going to eat at a local restaurant that was extremely nice. Nora decided to fall asleep about 10 minutes before we left, and I should have just stayed back at the hotel with her. Dinner was rough, eating in shifts while unsuspecting diners learned that a tiny girl can have lungs the size of an opera star. I left while Kevin sorted out the bill, gave Nora a bath and her bottle. She was asleep before she even finished drinking it.

It's been a very hard couple of days. I'll just leave it at that. I realized this evening though, that if this is going to work I'm going to need to be a lot more brave and patient with her than I ever have been in my life, and I have to remind myself that this will all be worth it (I know it will, no need to remind me).

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I am still sick and it's progressed to the point where I have lost my voice and cough almost all night, which doesn't help any of us sleep any better, not that we'd get much sleep anyway.

8 comments:

  1. Hugs to you all. I have no doubt things will get easier once you get home. Keeping the prayers coming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself holding back tears reading your frustrations and struggles.

    Sometimes, especially the hardest days, I cling to the memory of the strong impression that my own littles were supposed to be mine. That helps ease the burden just enough to be able to deal. Although, I am quite certain, you are experiencing things much more difficult than I am capable of comprehending. (You are not alone in your feelings of humiliation and helplessness.)

    Your names are on the prayer roll.

    You are loved. You are brave. You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in a hotel and traveling is hard for any kids, much less kids who have just found their parents. Kids thrive on a routine and Nora's routine has been nothing but flipped upside down. I know that once you get home and get into your own space with your own things and she starts to realize that she can be comfortable she will be much calmer. It will allow you guys to focus on bonding and her to realize you are the best thing that has ever happened to her.

    You never know how strong and patient you are until you are put in a situation where you HAVE to be, it is then that you will shine. (We know this well.) You are meant to do this. You are meant to be Nora's parents and you are strong enough to do whatever it takes to be the best parents you can be.

    Prayers from across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so cool that Nora allowed Kevin to comfort her and slept with him for a while. That is wonderful!

    I'm sorry it's so frustrating and hard. :( It doesn't help being sick and getting no sleep. :( We pray for you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pretty sure an upset baby on a plane somehow actually does slow down the space-time continuum. Much empathy to you guys!

    I loved your comment "I realized this evening though, that if this is going to work I'm going to need to be a lot more brave and patient with her than I ever have been in my life, and I have to remind myself that this will all be worth it (I know it will, no need to remind me)."
    It definitely rang true to me!

    As for the going out to eat, I think it happens sometimes that you have to do something for your own sanity. Abigail used to go to bed at 7 all the time, which makes it hard to do anything with anyone. So sometimes we had to sacrifice her sleep for ourselves to not be antisocial hermits. I totally understand the eating in shifts thing.

    The one trick I know other then the art of distraction for my upset kid (and granted I have a completely different kid who's never been through a complete life upheaval so take this for what it's worth), is holding her and counting slowly to 10 or 20. She doesn't have to understand the numbers, maybe it's the tone of voice, or maybe it's actually calming ME down which reflects on her. But anyways, praying for you guys and hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are already the bravest girl I know.
    You have more guts in your pinky than I ever will.
    You amaze me every day.

    Planes suck.

    Littles are hard.

    Please get better soon, I am so worried about you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finally got on the cpu to comment since I didn't do it last night while I was spamming your fb inbox. You guys are amazing and are doing a fabulous job. There aren't very many people who could do what you're doing. It's hard! Traveling with babies is difficult on a *GOOD* day. You guys are brave and amazing individuals. I guess just know that we're all praying, loving and rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete